"I Haven't Got Time For This Pain!"
Local Anesthetics and Analgesics and Their Clinical Dental Considerations
Management of acute odontogenic pain is accomplished through a clinical approach that successfully incorporates intraoperative local anesthesia and a postoperative regimen of non-opioid and opioid analgesics. However, improper and inappropriate use of both local anesthetic agents and analgesics have the potential to produce adverse outcomes for our patients. Thus, it is critical for clinicians to accurately evaluate the need for pain control, identify associated risks, and assess the efficacy of the agents to be administered. This program will provide participants with an overview of the pharmacology and therapeutics of local anesthetic agents and analgesics. Special emphasis will be given to effective perioperative pain management and best practices for prescribing analgesics for postoperative pain control.
First-time course given: March 1, 2024
Course review: March 1, 2024
Course expiration: March 1, 2026
Refund Policy: Since the intellectual property contained in this online course is made available on-demand immediately after purchase, no refunds will be issued for this course after purchase.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss local anesthetic agents with respect to their mechanisms of action, adverse effects, contraindications and clinical considerations.
- Explain the rationale for the use of vasoconstrictors and potential adverse effects.
- Describe the pharmacology and mechanism of action of analgesics used in the management of acute dental pain, including situations which may preclude their use.
- Discuss best practices for prescribing analgesics, as well as proper storage and disposal of unused dosages.
- Describe techniques useful in recognizing and identifying potential opioid addiction and current protocols for its treatment.
This is by far the BEST presentation I’ve been to in 30 years of practice! I didn’t want it to end! Really!!!
~ R.L., Hinman Dental Meeting
Thomas Viola is a board-certified pharmacist who also serves the professions of dentistry as a clinical educator, professional speaker and published author, in the areas of oral pharmacology and local anesthesia.
Tom is a member of the faculty of 16 dental professional degree programs and has received several awards for outstanding teacher of the year. Tom is well known nationally and internationally for his regular contributions to several dental professional journals. Through his informative, humorous and engaging live seminars and webinars, Tom has earned his reputation as the go-to specialist for making dental pharmacology practical and useful for all members of the dental team.